Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] North Carolina

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the cycle is largely pointing toward a loss tomorrow. Tatum goes 5-13 and misses the game-winner vs. Denver last night. Tonight Orlando scores 74 fucking points in an NBA game and loses to the team right ahead of them in the standings. But New Orleans wins in Philly. I will say that they nearly blew a 35-point lead. So even that game isn't that encouraging.

The Rome Rule is so fucking ironclad it’s uncanny, man.
I actually think the bad cycle started with Boston blowing a 22-point lead to Dean Wade earlier in the week. I think tonight's Duke loss ended it for a while. All the NBA results were great tonight. Boston and Tatum beat Phoenix. GS lost to Tre Jones and the Spurs. Dallas and Lively beat Detroit. Even the Charlotte freaking Hornets won.

Well, Twitter is on fire. Wake fans are already raising hell over Flip's knee injury that never was and tonight's tripping incident. And now the decorum of the Crazies throwing water and ice at the UNC players as they taunted Duke fans with the victory strut.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, Mass Hysteria!

I'd love to see the shot quality analytics for this game. Maybe I'm viewing this through a postmortem lens warped by dejection, but from the eye test, it seems like UNC was able to generate exponentially easier shots. I'll have to re-watch at a later date when biases aren't impacting how I'm viewing the film.

One thing that's certain is that they're the tougher and more physical team, which is illustrated by the rebounding disparity and the fact that our bigs were neutralized to the point where McCain has led us in rebounding both games in the series.

I'd love to see the shot quality analytics for this game. Maybe I'm viewing this through a postmortem lens warped by dejection, but from the eye test, it seems like UNC was able to generate exponentially easier shots. I'll have to re-watch at a later date when biases aren't impacting how I'm viewing the film.

One thing that's certain is that they're the tougher and more physical team, which is illustrated by the rebounding disparity and the fact that our bigs were neutralized to the point where McCain has led us in rebounding both games in the series.

When the biggest player Duke has starts every set play on the perimeter it shows the team’s emphasis on rebounding is nonexistent. But rebounding is all effort and that’s why McCain leads the team in that stat on any given box score.

UNC has rounded into form at the right time

This was their first truly impressive performance from start to finish since they beat us. Notre Dame is 12-18 and #126 on KenPom.
Like I said, at the right time. Just like 2022.
It’s a “be an asshole and self-post” kind of morning, but damn their defense was so much more physical than I was expecting. I think it was like 10000 - 4 when I quit watching. Did they keep up that intensity on D the whole game? I hate to admit it, but I was impressed.

This was my read, yes. The only reason UNC didn’t but 90 again is because besides the backbreaking Roach turnovers, we held onto the ball pretty well while turning over UNC quite a bit, denying them more scoring possessions

Meanwhile we probably gave up well more than the margin on points scored from UNC putbacks and other 2nd point shots generated from the front court getting outmuscled.

Bring on Flagg and Maluach

Last edited:
UNC has rounded into form at the right time

This was their first truly impressive performance from start to finish since they beat us. Notre Dame is 12-18 and #126 on KenPom.
Like I said, at the right time. Just like 2022.
It’s a “be an asshole and self-post” kind of morning, but damn their defense was so much more physical than I was expecting. I think it was like 10000 - 4 when I quit watching. Did they keep up that intensity on D the whole game? I hate to admit it, but I was impressed.
Their D was very physical the whole game. In the beginning, besides Ryan just crushing us, the other reason we got down 19-5 is that we couldn't get open. At all.

THose fucking players ran over and taunted the fans after the game. I wish someone threw something harder than water at them.

THose fucking players ran over and taunted the fans after the game. I wish someone threw something harder than water at them.

Duke fans should not have thrown anything at the UNC players. However, water and other objects will be thrown at any team that taunts a student section like that. I'm not sure why people are shocked/outraged at what happened.

The word is that Flip could get suspended a game for tripping Ingram. If TV Teddy saw it and let it go as a "play on", I don't believe it will be an issue. After the "trip" a discussion took place with an official and Flip. I couldn't be positive that it was TV Teddy.

The head coach at Stanford is going to get fired, and he's a former UNC assistant. Looking at the roster to see who the next big UNC transfer will be, and it's definitely this guy: Maxime Raynaud from France. He's a 7'1 junior, averaging 15.5 and 10 rebounds. He's shooting 39% from 3 on 54 attempts, and 79% from the FT line. This is Bacot's replacement.

The word is that Flip could get suspended a game for tripping Ingram. If TV Teddy saw it and let it go as a "play on", I don't believe it will be an issue. After the "trip" a discussion took place with an official and Flip. I couldn't be positive that it was TV Teddy.
If that happened in a AAC game no one would care but this is really one of the few regular season games with any real interest so it's possible. The action had moved down the other end of the floor so it doesn't surprise me that Teddy might have missed it.

Whatever ref was close by saw it because he ran over and let them play on

Remember when VT won a game because they punched Flip in the face and no one cared?
Yeah, a suspension over this half-hearted trip would be such bullshit given the hits Filipowski has taken the last two years. There were two or three fouls in the Tennessee game that should have been been flagrant but weren’t.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom