Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke News Article/Publicity Thread

Not Dauster's greatest piece, but good nonetheless. Points out what's relatively obvious by now -- that what has helped Duke's defense finally reach its potential is not different schemes but just executing better in their pressure man-to-man -- quicker switches, fewer blow-bys allowed by Cook, etc.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... ournament/

I thought he made some smart points about the matchups as well. Neither Utah or Gonzaga had a big that could really draw Okafor out of the paint. All season long I've said he's not a bad defender against true centers.

I also liked the point about both teams having a dominant point guard that Cook could take out of the game.

Disagree that schemes are a big part of what's helping. The tempo-slowing press has helped tremendously IMO.

duketop5_1152.jpg

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015- ... gan-state/

physicsfactor said:
Disagree that schemes are a big part of what's helping. The tempo-slowing press has helped tremendously IMO.

I agree. It's been a goddamn wonder tool against every team we've played since @UNC, except the ND game in which we fell too far behind too fast.

No fucking shit that team was terrible. Their first option was an inefficient chucker.

If we need to have a star OAD freshman who needs to get a lot of shots due to parents/hype, I'm glad we have Okafor instead of a Jabari or Stanley Johnson or early-season Winslow. When Okafor gets his dumb iso showcase possessions, it's at least close to 1 point per and it accomplishes helpful side effects for our offense. When a Jabari gets those chances, it helps nothing.

It's weird to think that Jabari might have been a 42% three-point shooter if he cut out the wing shots.

I thought Jabari was a far more efficient post scorer, but the numbers do not support that.

A Duke/UK title game will produce hundreds of those types of articles. Many will have titles like, "Why I'm Cheering for Duke...and Why You Should Too" and "Selling my Soul and Cheering for Devils." Shit like that.

Hundreds I tell you.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom