Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

aiw said:
Someone committed suicide yesterday jumping off the roof of The Durham.

Holy fuck. Just googled and I was across the plaza at that time and would have been in view of him jumping if I'd happened to have been in a certain area of my office.

Did he yell the thread name when he jumped?

That spoiler was so wrong, but it made me laugh out loud. If you'd met me in person, you'd know that's a rare accomplishment.

Yikes, I'm going to the Durham Hotel for dinner tomorrow night.

Went to Sushi Love last night.

Can I get a list of the favorite BBQ places around Durham? Need to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far I've received recommendations for Allen and Sons, Backyard BBQ, and the Original Q-Shack.

Hog Heaven on Guess Road

The Pit is good too, but I think of that as a more 'fancy' barbeque. You can make reservations and valet your car. Placed like Hog Heaven much better for the authentic stuff.

I am glad someone said Hog Heaven. I love it, but people seem to not like it for some reason. Their mac and cheese isn't the best, but I actually like the meat itself better than some of those other places mentioned.

I dislike The Pit. Overpriced and trying to hard to be fancy without making great food. Seriously, go to Backyard BBQ. That place is dingy as hell and phenomenal.

I liked Backyard Barbecue. I just didn't find it noticeably better than Hog Heaven, which was within walking distance of my house. Backyard Barbecue is a 20-minute drive or more.

An alternative is to get the BBQ tray from Cookout. It's not high quality bbq, but you can't beat the price ($4.25 last I checked).

DukeNukem05 said:
I dislike The Pit. Overpriced and trying to hard to be fancy without making great food. Seriously, go to Backyard BBQ. That place is dingy as hell and phenomenal.

This is what I've heard about the Pit. Backyard BBQ could become a staple as it's only a mile or so from work.

skins said:
DukeNukem05 said:

This is what I've heard about the Pit. Backyard BBQ could become a staple as it's only a mile or so from work.
Once we started going there, it became a weekly staple for my coworkers and me. Give it a shot. My favorite part about the ambiance is the framing of the A/C unit. You'll have a good laugh when you notice it.

Went to Backyard BBQ for lunch Friday. For the price it's hard to complain and they definitely stacked the container with food.

Tried out Pizzeria Toro last night and had the 4 cheese; easily one of the best pizzas I've ever had. If I wanted to spend $60 on myself I could definitely put down 3 of their pies.

I think Backyard is the best bbq spot in the Durham area. I liked Allen & Sons too and I think they have a more diverse menu, but for pure NC pork bbq, I would take Backyard over any of them.

The Pit is a bit of a different animal, but still solid. More appropriate for a Friday/Sat night dinner with couples.

I judge anyone so hard who doesn't have Allen & Son as #1 for straight-up, eastern style BBQ.

I mean, the dude gets up at 3am every day to chop his own hickory wood, then smokes a hog over an open flame all day. Unless I'm mistaken, he's the only one in RDU who does that - everyone else uses some variation of an electric cooker. More efficient, especially for large quantities, but legit hickory-smoked, Eastern NC pork is its own kind of awesome.

...and I'm going to lose any semblance of credibility now, but the barbecue in the Whole Foods buffet is pretty damn good for something you can run in and grab at a grocery store. Just saying.

skins said:
Went to Backyard BBQ for lunch Friday. For the price it's hard to complain and they definitely stacked the container with food.

Tried out Pizzeria Toro last night and had the 4 cheese; easily one of the best pizzas I've ever had. If I wanted to spend $60 on myself I could definitely put down 3 of their pies.

Glad you liked Toro. I particularly love the spicy lamb meatball pizza.

Also, for those who like spicy things, getting the hot chili oil to put on the pizza is a must.

Pantone287 said:
I judge anyone so hard who doesn't have Allen & Son as #1 for straight-up, eastern style BBQ.

I mean, the dude gets up at 3am every day to chop his own hickory wood, then smokes a hog over an open flame all day. Unless I'm mistaken, he's the only one in RDU who does that - everyone else uses some variation of an electric cooker. More efficient, especially for large quantities, but legit hickory-smoked, Eastern NC pork is its own kind of awesome.

Do they do the above at Allen & Son for both the Chapel Hill and Pittsboro locations? It's pretty damn good, but I'm sticking with Backyard, which doesn't seem like a unique opinion- Backyard edges Allen & Son on Yelp.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom