Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

I'm looking for a chill place to get whiskey and hang out with some friends in Durham tomorrow night. You guys got any recommendations?

I think Criterion still has a bunch of whiskey. Used to be called Whiskey. It's on Chapel Hill Street, but I haven't been in since the change, so I could be completely wrong.

Whiskey snob friend says try the Japanese-style pub above Dashi. Says they are good for both Euro and Japanese whiskeys. Also says Alley Twenty Six.

On a related note, the people who own Dashi also own Ponysaurus and The Cookery. Friends of friends. Nice people who I am happy to support.

Alley Twenty-Six is nice, but I wouldn't call it a chill place. The few times I've been there it was always packed.

The bar above Dashi (izakaya) is good. More low key and can eat up there. I haven't been to Criterion but if it's like Whiskey, then I'd suggest that.

Whiskey was my favorite bar in Durham. I am now a Surf Club devotee, but not exactly what you're looking for.

@DukeNukem05 Thanks for the hyphen in Alley Twenty-Six. I almost did't recommend them because of their failure to use it. We live in a society, for crying out loud.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Criterion sounds solid and ill check out Dashi

Was not impressed with the ramen at Dashi after multiple visits. I do want to try the izakaya eventually. Also looking forward to trying the ramen at M Kokko.

Go with someone to M Kokko and get the spicy ramen and a chicken sandwich and split them. Such a good dinner. Best chicken sandwich around, too.

I need to check out M Kokko still. Wife and I got the Nigiri Omakase at M Sushi sometime last year and it was my favorite meal I've had in ages.

Cam confirm that Criterion still has a crapton of whiskeys.

106 E Main is an underrated divey place that is probably the most reasonably priced for what you get in Durham.

Alley, 21C, and Arcana all have bartenders that I trust with "barender's choice" stuff if you're into that. Alley and 21C are on the shmancier side though, obviously.

Quarter Horse is a fun place to dick around with friends, too. Divey as fuck with a bunch of old arcade games.

BTW, I'm a fan of the new Jack Tar diner so far. Pretty good for the price, interesting menu, breakfast until until midnight, and really cool space. Solid overall experience. Same people as a Toro.

Did they make you pay a penny for lifetime membership?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom