Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Javin DeLaurier

It’s gotta be up there. I cringe every time he gets the ball and makes a move towards the hoop. I swear 75% of the time it’s a travel and then he (rightfully) never touches the ball again.

Reactions: TBC
I was hoping by a senior he'd be a 10-12pts garbage man player but no way that's possible.

I wonder if he has the highest TO/Touches ratio in the history of duke basketball for any non-walkon.

I feel like freshman/sophomore Lance would have given Javin a run for his money. As a freshman, he had 81 FGA and 43 TO.

I am not going to participate in the pile on. Javin at least has some solid tools with which to work.

You can't teach 6'10, 231 with solid athleticism. He is also a good (too weak to be great yet) defender and he hustles.

Gotta remember he's 19. People just mature at different rates in all aspects of life, basketball included.

Look at how far the beloved Marques Bolden has come in a calendar year.

Much worse to have all the tools and do nothing with them than to have no tools to begin with. No one is piling on Jordan Goldwire.

Much worse to have all the tools and do nothing with them than to have no tools to begin with. No one is piling on Jordan Goldwire.

Yeah, but Javin's tools (size and athleticism) would predict him to be a good defender and rebounder, which he is. Nobody is saying he has the shooting tool. Or any offensive tool whatsoever. He is however a very valuable piece of the rotation going forward, as he is not good enough for the NBA, but he is good enough to be a monster defender/rebounder/trash bucket getter on the college level.

2nd best DRtng behind Carter (not counting walk-on Buckmire)

3rd best BLK % behind Carter and Bolden (not counting Robinson)

3rd best TRB% behind Carter and Bagley. And it's barely. And those are two top 10 picks.

2nd highest BPM on the team behind Carter.

He has 5 starts under his belt. Has appeared in 44 games now.

If he had any offense outside of trash buckets, he'd be gone this year. He'll keep improving like all of our bigs historically have.

Look at Mason Plumlee's stats as a 19 year old. Hell, Miles Plumlee didn't even come to Duke until he was 20.

I don’t think you’re getting the basic point. Shooting can be learned. It’s not really a “tool.” Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez weren’t born with NBA 3pt range, but they have it now. Andre Drummond wasn’t born as a 60%+ FT shooter, but he is now. Javin isn’t showing any semblance of learning a skill that can be learned. It’s fair to be concerned about that and not say “great job, you’re doing awesome.”

The difference between Javin’s situation and any other big man in Duke history is Javin is playing half his time at SF for Duke this season. Ideally, he’s the center for the rest of his career, but we would’ve benefitted greatly had he developed any kind of ability to hit a wide open 3-pointer in the corner. This can happen over the course of a few months, as has been shown by many other big men, and it should develop even quicker and easier for a younger player.

Last edited:
I don’t think you’re getting the basic point. Shooting can be learned. It’s not really a “tool.” He isn’t showing any semblance of learning a skill that can be learned. It’s fair to be concerned about that.

I gotcha. I was thinking of "tools" more in terms of "visible/tangible attributes", not in terms of "things that can't be taught."

Makes sense.

Your point about Plumlees is well taken, though. It’s more frustrating with Javin because we didn’t want or need anything from the Plumlees in 2010 or 2011 except rebounding and passing back out on offense.

On the other hand, Javin is being asked to complement this dominant frontcourt for most of the time he gets, and he can’t do it. It’s not his fault he’s in this situation, but given that he and the coaches have had several months since Bagley’s commitment to adapt to it, it’s disappointing that Javin sits at 1-8 3pt for the season. Bolden seemed to understand the situation when he was jacking up long 2s and 3s in the preseason scrimmages, but fortunately for everyone who watches college basketball, Bolden’s main value has turned out to be as a backup center rather than as a Third Tower, so he hasn’t needed to show off his jumper.

Javin is an already good (great?) defensive player and rebounder with the potential to be incredible, and I think everyone acknowledges this. It would have been nice to see him improve any single weakness in his game over the course of the season.

Don't be selling my boy, Bolden, short. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's hiding a 40+% 3-pt stroke. He'll unleash it next year and go number 1 in the draft.

Your point about Plumlees is well taken, though. It’s more frustrating with Javin because we didn’t want or need anything from the Plumlees in 2010 or 2011 except rebounding and passing back out on offense.

On the other hand, Javin is being asked to complement this dominant frontcourt for most of the time he gets, and he can’t do it. It’s not his fault he’s in this situation, but given that he and the coaches have had several months since Bagley’s commitment to adapt to it, it’s disappointing that Javin sits at 1-8 3pt for the season. Bolden seemed to understand the situation when he was jacking up long 2s and 3s in the preseason scrimmages, but fortunately for everyone who watches college basketball, Bolden’s main value has turned out to be as a backup center rather than as a Third Tower, so he hasn’t needed to show off his jumper.

Javin is an already good (great?) defensive player and rebounder with the potential to be incredible, and I think everyone acknowledges this. It would have been nice to see him improve any single weakness in his game over the course of the season.

Yeah, I hear you about the Triple Towers. It obviously doesn't work on the offensive end. Next year, with those three wings, I doubt we see it much, if at all. Javin will probably be strictly a 4. It's going to be really interesting with Zion/Javin at the 4 and Bolden/EJ at the 5. Javin's minutes and usage will probably decrease, honestly. K won't have Zion on the bench for long stretches. Maybe Javin plays a little bit at the 5.

Javin really needs to work on not fouling also. 7.1 fouls per 40 is unacceptable. Verticality would do him wonders as well as not trying to hump players on the perimeter and going for dumb steals 20 feet out

Committing fouls has been a consistent problem the past 2 years. On the offensive end, I wish he could just keep things simple for himself.

I honestly think Javin doesn't understand how big and fast he is, or how high he can jump. We all can see what a freak athlete he is, but Bagley is just as incredible of an athlete, if not more.

Bagley understands space, his abilities, how to control his athleticism when necessary. Javin doesn't have the awareness, not just the basketball awareness, the general awareness of his body in space relative to the court and the other bodies moving in that space.

Even Carter runs into those space problems on the perimeter. Inside, Carter is magnificent.

Javin also doesn't understand basic offense (where to be on the court, when to cut, etc.). Contrast him with AOC. For all O'Connell's defensive fouls, he has an innate awareness of what to do on offense.

I thought Javin’s offense might have been turning a corner after the URI game. He made some good cuts when he was ignored. He had no idea what to do vs the zone, though.

He has 7 months to learn how to do at least one basketball-related thing before I officially get angry at him. Just learn how to do one thing, Javin, and you will be one of my favorite players.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom