Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jeremy Roach

Even ignoring Stewart, Hubbard, and Reeves, who aren't playing real minutes, this usage distribution seems out of whack. Need Flip at closer to 25%, Roach at 25%, and Mark at more like 18%. McCain and Foster's usage could also come up.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 8.01.03 PM.png

Should have posted this in the general Duke Men's Basketball thread. My bad. In my defense, it started out as a post about Roach's usage needing to be higher and then morphed into something else.

I think Filipowski is like the next basketball evolution of Jahlil Okafor. The offense will probably be proven to be even more efficient with anyone else at center, including Ryan Young, but it isn’t nearly as obvious a situation as with Okafor, and Filipowski isn’t totally awful when switched on defense. Duke’s absolute ceiling involves Filipowski on the court, but it would be a 20% usage 140 OEff version of Filipowski who cuts out all the difficult 2s, which he could easily become if he chooses to.

The Jeremy Roach thread is being ruined, sadly.

Ugh, man, Mark. Even shooting woes aside, 12% DR and 1.5% block rates are not really what you want to see from your previously-thought-to-be NBA athlete PF who doesn't get guarded outside of 5 feet.

He seemed like such a massive returnée decision, but been almost bizarrely disappointing in basically every way.

Hoping he plays better as the year goes on.

Barring an unexpected emergence from either Power or Stewart, you kind of have to have Mitchell out there. Flip has been coming up to the level of the screen, which leaves Duke very small on the back line. The only guy with any size who can potentially drop down to help is Mitchell. Not saying he's been great this year defensively, but he's the best option atm.

I've been thinking about how what we've seen from Jeremy this year was something we used to experience regularly. One of the joys of following Duke basketball used to be watching the massive progress players made between their freshman and senior years. This was especially true of our guards. Guard development has always been great at Duke, and we saw top 30 guys all the time who sucked as freshmen but ascended to AA status as upperclassmen.

But in recent years, the only players who stayed four years were complete non-factors. There's a difference between a senior Joey Baker, with roughly 1000 minutes of playing time total, and a senior Roach, who is already over 3200 minutes. There's so much that real game experience teaches you that even the most skilled freshman or sophomore can't match.

Plus, my emotional connection to someone like Jeremy is so much deeper because of his narrative. Overtaxed freshman in the covid year, misses the tournament, makes the Final Four in K's last year, loses to UNC, comes back for Scheyer's first year as one of the only returnees, struggles a bit at first but turns it on near the end of the year, wins the ACCT, comes back for a senior season on a team with a ton of preseason hype and is probably the team's best player. A title for him would mean a lot more to me than it would if, say, Trevor Keels had won one.

Anyway, that's why I keep pointing out how well he's playing. He's singlehandedly making me enjoy this season even if the team just ends up being a mid-tier tournament team.

He’s so far and away our best senior since Grayson it’s not even funny. Between Allen and Roach we had… Jack White, Javin DeLaurier, Justin Robinson, Jordan Goldwire, and Joey Baker.
And while Allen was still good as a senior, it didn't have the same impact because he wasn't nearly as good as he was as a sophomore. So you didn't get that same satisfying trajectory upward.

He’s so far and away our best senior since Grayson it’s not even funny. Between Allen and Roach we had… Jack White, Javin DeLaurier, Justin Robinson, Jordan Goldwire, and Joey Baker
All those first names beginning with J, and Jeremy is the one to break the chain.

If only Jaemyn Brakefield had stayed. Or that kid who threw the milkshake at the trainer. Didn't his name start with a J as well?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom