Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jeremy Roach

Dominated, then turned his ankle when he landed on someone with about 5 minutes left in the 1st. Hit 2 FT to put us up 18. Tried to come back in the second and made it about 2 minutes. 18 point lead cut to 3.

What are the chances Roach returns for a 5th season?

Any guesses of our 4 main guards how many return to Duke next season? Proctor I’m guessing is definitely headed to the draft. The other 3 up in the air.

Foster should return. Jared could. Roach no idea?

What are the chances Roach returns for a 5th season?

Any guesses of our 4 main guards how many return to Duke next season? Proctor I’m guessing is definitely headed to the draft. The other 3 up in the air.

Foster should return. Jared could. Roach no idea?
From what I've heard, I'd put it at

Proctor 90/10 gone
McCain 60/40 staying
Foster 90/10 staying
Roach 70/30 gone

Roach has a degree. He's not suddenly going to be appealing to NBA teams if he stays another year. I think the staff believes that McCain will stay, but he will have a real choice to make. He makes a killing in NIL, but a late 1st round pick is still a guaranteed $2 mil/year contract. I guess the pitch to him would be that he could work on his playmaking and lead ball handling. But if Foster's back, how much point does McCain really get to run?

Foster has generated zero interest from NBA teams so far. I don't see that changing.

I wonder what Roach's hypothetical price would be to stay. The flip side of that argument is any team signing him at any point will be based on his ability to contribute immediately, rather than upside, so if he can pocket a guaranteed 7 figures for another year while developing in a prominent spotlight, what's the downside?

If it's in the "couple million" range rather than the "8 figures" range or something not feasible for anyone, we just have to whatever necessary to get him back. Pull all the 2025 class NIL budget for him, I don't GAF.

I kind of view that as a must-accomplish for Jon, unless he makes a nice tourney run this year or wins the ACC again or something. Too important of a season for his and the program's narratives to not find a way to make it happen.

The fact that Roach has managed to be as effective as he has been despite constant injuries and a constantly shifting role is one of the more remarkable stories I can remember in Duke history. It's like Seth Curry never practicing in 2013 and still shooting like 44% from three and posting a 125 offensive rating.

The value of a great senior isn't even just their improved play. It's the mental and physical fortitude.

Roach's tremendous jump in shooting has to be unprecedented in Duke history. Sure, you have someone like Luke Kennard, who struggled to shoot as a freshman but became a lights-out shooter as a sophomore once he adjusted to college. But there was little doubt in my mind that Luke was a great shooter. But Roach never shot higher than 34.3% in any year before now. Now he's at almost 48%. The fact that his FT percentage has steadily improved too makes me think it's real (or at least that he'll finish over 40%). A 14% jump in efficiency would be remarkable.

I'm sure there's someone else who's made a 14% jump, but I don't regard a jump from terrible to decent as being as hard as okay to great. Also, the fact that it came after such a large sample of bad shooting sets it apart.

Matt Jones improved from 14% to 37%. But once again, Jones was a freshman when he shot 14%. The sample size was small. The improvement was from putrid to solid, not okay to great.

Yeah, I don't think anyone beats Roach if we remove 1) small sample-size first seasons and 2) guards on the 1994 Final Four team who now coach at P5 schools and had single-year dips followed by strong recoveries.

Ryan Kelly would be someone also improved a lot (between soph and jr year). Phil Henderson, too. Greg Paulus somehow went from .314 on 1.9 attempts as a freshman to .450 on 4.6 attempts as a sophomore, so if that counts, that may be the best parallel.

Not the same but Lance Thomas attempting 0 threes at Duke and then becoming a .400 3-point shooter in the NBA deserves some kind of honorable mention.

I think there's reason for cautious optimism that Jon-coached teams will be good at developing and empowering shooting, even if it's just something intangible like how he builds guys up rather than terrorizing their souls like K did.

Roach, Flip, and Proctor have improved by 14, 9, and 6.5 percentage points so far, and McCain and Foster (and even Power) are at over 40%, which is kind of amazing for a trio of Duke freshmen.

Obviously Mitchell had his existential crisis, but even he's been trending in the right direction lately. 75% over his last 5 games, baby!

I’m definitely encouraged by the fact that Jon made it clear he wanted to rebuild our shooting, which really fell off in the last 4 or so years of K, and has already accomplished that in his second year. Hopefully it will continue.

I think this will finish as our best shooting team since 2014. Considering that team had the best adjusted offense of any Duke team in the Kenpom era, that's pretty good.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom