Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

First kPOY rankings of the year are out. Kennard is at 4th. "Glue guy" Amile Jefferson at number 5. Integrating the freshmen will slow these guys down but it's abundantly clear who our two best players are.

Found this on the Kenpom blog:

Most-improved team

UCF. Johnny Dawkins is having a marvelous time in his first season in Orlando. Taking over a team that went 12-18 (6-12) last season, the Golden Knights have risen from preseason 185th to 76th despite losing their top four usage guys from last season. Tacko Fall, a 7-6 sophomore, has emerged as the team’s most valuable player, and that’s saying something for a guy that has gone 8-of-29 from the free throw line. Opponents have made just 34 percent of their two-point attempts and Fall has even flashed some offensive game as well. UCF went 5-1 in November and each of their wins was by at least 20 points. Their lone loss was a 67-57 decision to Villanova. (Others: 2. Arkansas State, 3. East Tennessee State, 4. North Carolina Central, 5. Utah Valley.)

I've watched two of UCF's games. They're pretty fun to watch.

Fall is pretty good -- he's shooting 81% from the field, after all.

B.J. Taylor, a sophomore guard, is their leading scorer, and he's pretty darn good all over the floor, other than a bad (22%) 3-point percentage.

Other than those two, their best players are seniors, but Dawkins does have 4 transfers sitting out this season, including his son Aubrey who had some good moments at Michigan.

Duke reclaims #1 overall after the Florida game. #1 offense, #21 defense.

2009 North Carolina: #1 offense, #21 defense.

We've been slipping on D since peaking at 12. But a lot of that is 3pt regression. Hopefully we settle in.

Tatum looks like he'll do wonders for our defense.

I suppose this could go in a bunch of different threads. I'm treating "Pomeroy" as "Dork Stuff."

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly i almost think you need to invent a new tier, like a cat 6. Those other teams listed weren't returning literally 3 All american caliber players, and not just third team, but first team (if healthy Grayson ever returns)

Yep. Mere 'returning possession minutes' doesn't capture what is returning. UK in '10 returned a lot of 'experience', but Patterson was the only holdover who was a big factor since the prior year team was a pretty mediocre NIT squad. Even the UNC team that was surprisingly good in '06 and returned everyone but Noel really only had Hansbrough as a marquee guy coming back, as three freshman started almost immediately.

If we truly get healthy, we are nearly as talented as '15 UK - maybe more on a college level basis - with far better balance b/w offense and defense.

deeyoukayeee said:
If we truly get healthy, we are nearly as talented as '15 UK - maybe more on a college level basis - with far better balance b/w offense and defense.

Not to mention an actual basketball coach.

The defensive potential of this team is pretty high; it will be fun to watch that develop.

rome8180 said:
We've been slipping on D since peaking at 12. But a lot of that is 3pt regression. Hopefully we settle in.

Tatum looks like he'll do wonders for our defense.

TS9 said:
deeyoukayeee said:

Not to mention an actual basketball coach.

Let's not be hasty. If Matt Jones is playing more than a Harrison twin's minutes under those circumstances, it's a wash. Unfortunately, I think we can all visualize that happening.

I think Cal is very good coach in some aspects. He's good at getting young guys to gel and buy into his defensive concepts. Where he suffers is game-planning and in-game adjustments. The revelation that he didn't game-plan at all for Wisconsin is particularly egregious.

Defense from 21 to 14.

Offense bumped up, too.

Went from leading Nova by 0.04 to up 1.07.

Huge jumps.

Offense took huge hit. Fell to 3rd on offense and 2nd overall. Fell an entire point plus.

Yup, defense only thing that kept us from free falling.

Too much dog shit on the court tonight.

Lost a bit of ground to Villanova, barely ahead of UVA

Offense down to 119.9 (still #3). D up to #9.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom