Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Podcast Thread

The last hour of today's Lebatard show with Stugotz was a classic. Nothing interesting going on in sports today so they just decided to have 4 races to pass the time. It was hilarious to listen to but the actual videos of the races were even funnier.

History of English Podcast is so interesting. The guy is a lawyer in Raleigh with and interest in linguistics and planned on 100 episodes from proto-Indo-European language til now. Well, he's 110 episodes in and we're at around year 1300 and Edward I. He weaves actual history into the history of the language and this last episode he talked about how wool essentially ran the English economy back then (really not as boring as it sounds). Most interesting thing I learned today is that map, apron and napkin all sprang from the same root word: mappa in Latin

A mappa was a smallish piece of cloth that you would write directions on, so 'map'. The word passed to French and the 'm' evolved into an 'n', so 'nappa'. Still meant a small piece of cloth and it was used to keep a table clean, a tablecloth. 'Nappa' passed into English once the French started coming into England in droves. The Old English suffix 'kin' meant small and they added it to 'nappa' to create 'napkin' for a small piece of cloth that you would clean things with. The French 'nappa' evolved to 'naperon' in French to essentially mean napkin and came over from the continent. At the same time, English began to use indefinite articles 'a' and 'an', so you would use 'a naperon' to keep things clean. People ended up being confused as to whether it was 'a naperon' or 'an aperon' and the 2nd stuck and 'an apron' is used to keep your clothes clean when you are cooking, so:

map, apron and napkin all come from the same root word. I thought that was very neat.

I subscribe to Stitcher Premium. I am enjoying it so far. It basically has every podcast you can conceive of.

I subscribe to Stitcher Premium. I am enjoying it so far. It basically has every podcast you can conceive of.
I'm curious what Stitcher Premium offers that you can't get through other podcast apps. Are there podcasts that are exclusive to it? Thanks!

This isn't my cup of tea, but if you like stories of human depravity Sword and Scales might interest you. I listened to an episode on someone's recommendation, and I had to bail halfway into it bc I might have swerved off the road if I kept listening.

The Indicator from the Planet Money team is a good, short podcast for economy and business-related info.

History of English Podcast is so interesting. The guy is a lawyer in Raleigh with and interest in linguistics and planned on 100 episodes from proto-Indo-European language til now. Well, he's 110 episodes in and we're at around year 1300 and Edward I. He weaves actual history into the history of the language and this last episode he talked about how wool essentially ran the English economy back then (really not as boring as it sounds). Most interesting thing I learned today is that map, apron and napkin all sprang from the same root word: mappa in Latin

A mappa was a smallish piece of cloth that you would write directions on, so 'map'. The word passed to French and the 'm' evolved into an 'n', so 'nappa'. Still meant a small piece of cloth and it was used to keep a table clean, a tablecloth. 'Nappa' passed into English once the French started coming into England in droves. The Old English suffix 'kin' meant small and they added it to 'nappa' to create 'napkin' for a small piece of cloth that you would clean things with. The French 'nappa' evolved to 'naperon' in French to essentially mean napkin and came over from the continent. At the same time, English began to use indefinite articles 'a' and 'an', so you would use 'a naperon' to keep things clean. People ended up being confused as to whether it was 'a naperon' or 'an aperon' and the 2nd stuck and 'an apron' is used to keep your clothes clean when you are cooking, so:

map, apron and napkin all come from the same root word. I thought that was very neat.

Gonna have to check this out.

I'm curious what Stitcher Premium offers that you can't get through other podcast apps. Are there podcasts that are exclusive to it? Thanks!
There definitely are. I listen to a lot of comedy podcasts from Earwolf. They only archive their stuff six months back, so this is a way to get older content. Additionally, some of the limited series or live episodes never make it to Earwolf's free platform.

I am sure that's the same with other podcasts, but I'm not sure. But at $5 a month, it's worth it just to have it all in one place with a good browse function and no commercials. I've discovered multiple new podcasts just by browsing genres. I expect more and more podcasts will go "behind the paywall" in the future, too.

Damn, this is awesome. I'm 4 episodes in today. Reminds me of A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Wait til he starts reading Old English. Wild.

Listening the the Presidential cast from 2016. WP reporter with interviews and snippets about the Presidents from Washington on that was released during the campaign. Up to John Tyler, but just finished the WH Harrison episode and they talked about how they really built on Andrew Jackson's populism and built the first truly national campaign where the candidate would go out and campaign instead of staying silent and letting others do it. Interesting things:

1. WH Harrison came from a rich family and did not grow up in a log cabin.
2. Van Buren's campaign tried to denigrate him by saying he grew up in a log cabin and liked hard cider.
3. WH Harrison campaign came out with this song, which turned the tables on log cabins and cider and turning it into a good thing. This song was (barely) adapted by They Might Be Giants. I found an earlier folk version and TMBG stuck to it pretty well. I can't get this out of my head.

4. This campaign is where the phrase "get the ball rolling" came from. They made a huge pah-pee-ay mache ball and would roll it from campaign stop to campaign stop. Ridiculous.

Good podcast.

Here is the (closer to the) original version

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back