Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Podcast Thread

I was just talking about Tippecanoe and Tyler Too the other day.

In 1840, I would have voted for him because of that song and the huge paper ball.

NBA podcasts I have listened to recently:

Open Floor - I am going to keep recommending this until you assholes listen to it; GOAT NBA podcast
The Ringer NBA Show - Too hot-takey and lowbrow for my tastes, like everything on The Ringer
Bball Breakdown - Pretty smart, but something about Coach Nick annoys me. Hate the "You In?" tagline. He has some good guests
Dunc'd On NBA podcast - Smart though I don't always agree with their takes
Hardwood Knocks - Bad production values, but easily my second favorite after Open Floor; unrepentantly snobbish
Fastbreak Breakfast - Not worth your time

@ZackM You should check out Binge Mode while you listen to the HP audio books. They do a episode in 4-5 chapter chunks.

@ZackM You should check out Binge Mode while you listen to the HP audio books. They do a episode in 4-5 chapter chunks.
That sounds sweet. I'll give it a shot tomorrow at work.

Also apparently it's a thing now (been a thing for a while?) that people listen to podcasts at 1.5x and 2x speed? Are they actually still comprehensible or is it a strain to keep up with?

Also apparently it's a thing now (been a thing for a while?) that people listen to podcasts at 1.5x and 2x speed? Are they actually still comprehensible or is it a strain to keep up with?

Maybe similar to a fast-talking person loaded on cocaine

1.5x is very much still comprehensible.

Yeah, 1.5x FTW. And all the good podcast apps (Pocket Casts, Castro, Overcast) also trim long silences out, so the effective speed is even greater.

Is there some reason to be in a rush to finish a podcast? Isn't part of the point that they take up time?

Some thoughts after trying out suggestions in this thread:

- 1.5x speed was just not enjoyable. It was comprehensible, but I feel like it required an annoying amount of my attention, especially when someone was calling in and the sound wasn't the clearest. 1.2x-1.3x is about my limit, and even that requires a bit more concentration than what I would consider a leisurely level. Not sure if it's worth it.

- @rome8180, have you listened to the Chris Mannix podcast as well? Because listening to Celtic Beat, it kind of sounded like a softball company-line type of deal, like they were the team's official radio crew or something. Kaufman had Cedric Maxwell on, and when he brought up Jeff Goodman's reporting on another podcast that "there were a few players who sometimes didn't enjoy playing with Isaiah Thomas", Maxwell called him an outright liar and started talking stupid platitudes like 'his teammates were amazed with the moves when the little guy would put on a show in the 4th' like he was a fanboy gushing about all things Celtics. I'm going to have to pass on this if they're just going to jerk off all things Boston each episode while not even entertaining any thought/reporting/story somewhat critical of the team.

Last edited:
Is there some reason to be in a rush to finish a podcast? Isn't part of the point that they take up time?
I've got like 30 different podcasts in my rotation. The faster I listen to them, the more of them I can listen to.

dissect podcast is great if you're into modern hip hop.

deep dives into kendrick, kanye, and frank ocean albums.

Some thoughts after trying out suggestions in this thread:

- 1.5x speed was just not enjoyable. It was comprehensible, but I feel like it required an annoying amount of my attention, especially when someone was calling in and the sound wasn't the clearest. 1.2x-1.3x is about my limit, and even that requires a bit more concentration than what I would consider a leisurely level. Not sure if it's worth it.

- @rome8180, have you listened to the Chris Mannix podcast as well? Because listening to Celtic Beat, it kind of sounded like a softball company-line type of deal, like they were the team's official radio crew or something. Kaufman had Cedric Maxwell on, and when he brought up Jeff Goodman's reporting on another podcast that "there were a few players who sometimes didn't enjoy playing with Isaiah Thomas", Maxwell called him an outright liar and started talking stupid platitudes like 'his teammates were amazed with the moves when the little guy would put on a show in the 4th' like he was a fanboy gushing about all things Celtics. I'm going to have to pass on this if they're just going to jerk off all things Boston each episode while not even entertaining any thought/reporting/story somewhat critical of the team.
I'll have to check Mannix out. I thought Cedric Maxwell was all right, but as usual former players aren't the most critical thinkers. I enjoy it more when he has sportswriters and other podcasters on.

Forgot that Sam Vecine's podcast, Game Theory, is pretty good. I like that it focuses on scouting and the NCAA a little bit as well as the NBA.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom