Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Podcast Thread

Same here. My wife sold me on it and the writing is fantastic. The showrunner also does Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Yeah, I wanted to get Geisinger this week but it didnt work out. I think an ACC pod with Geisinger would be dope.

Any investing type podcasts that people here listen to? I am woefully uneducated about investing in general but am probably a year away from really getting going.

I'm currently following Dave Ramsey's advice on getting out of debt with the exception of I haven't stopped contributing to my 401k because of company match. Most of you are far wiser than I so any suggestions would be cool. Right now all I have is a Vanguard retirement target 2055.

Serious advice is to go with the cheapest expense ratio index funds you can find, and do this with every paycheck, evenly. Don’t look at the market and don’t look at performance. Don’t try to time anything. Just be consistent, like $X amount every other Monday or the 1st and 15th of every month. Don’t sell unless you absolutely need cash. If you absolutely need to sell, you’re putting in too much each paycheck. The underlying philosophy here is that you can’t beat the market over the long run.

My suggested portfolio for a 40 year old who expects to live to 80 would be:

25% large cap US equity
25% mid cap US equity
25% small cap US equity
15% total international equity
10% total US bond

There is probably an index fund for each of these categories on Vanguard with a 0.03 to 0.10 expense ratio. Rebalance the percentages with every contribution - this naturally puts in money in the ones that are relatively low. You can shift more to the bond fund as you get closer to retirement or dying. Or you can keep going with a Vanguard target retirement fund, which does that for you, but you lose on expense ratio and they are way too conservative for my taste.

This was the first episode of the NPR podcast The Hidden Brain I'd heard. I thought it was fantastic. It presented a really balanced look at the pros and cons of personality tests. I would recommend it for people interested in psychology, neuroscience, and sociology. I'm going to be digging through some back episodes.

I've gotten into a literature podcast called Overdue. It's two guys reading and discussing novels they "should have" read a while ago. I wish they were a bit more of lit nerds, but they're really funny.

I just listened to what could be the funniest episode of Comedy Bang Bang with Horatio Sanz and Thomas Middleditch. Everything with Middleditch is gold.

Nice. Was it the one about choking out schoolchildren?

Yeah, there are a list of comedians I love on there and I look for those episodes. Middleditch is an amazing improvisor. My other favorites are Paul F. Tompkins, Jon Gabrus, Carl Tart, Tawny Newsome, Jason Mantzoukas, Jessica McKenna, Andy Daly, Neil Campbell, and Shaun Diston. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Other great CBB Middleditch appearances are Joey Tortellini and Big Dawg. The Joey Tortellini episode has all the other Silicon Valley guys (but not in character).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom