Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

He has one individual ORtg game over the Mendoza Line (100) since January 29.

Coach K knew the result of the game was inconsequential. He gave Duval the opportunity to win the game, gain confidence, and earn trust and respect from his coaches and teammates. Duval failed and K has an excuse to bench him at the end of games from here on out. The master at work.

Or Coach K is a moron and Duval is going to self destruct in the NCAA tourney and bring the entire team down with him.

One thing I wonder about Duval is that whether his struggles are common or he is just bad. In other words, forget about being OAD, just think of him as another freshmen PG. Do they struggle like this and find themselves as upper-classmen. Or are his struggles so bad that it indicates he's never going to be that good. I'm trying to come up with a Duke freshemen guard who's as bad as he is that ended up being good and I can't think of any.

One thing I wonder about Duval is that whether his struggles are common or he is just bad. In other words, forget about being OAD, just think of him as another freshmen PG. Do they struggle like this and find themselves as upper-classmen. Or are his struggles so bad that it indicates he's never going to be that good. I'm trying to come up with a Duke freshmen guard who's as bad as he is that ended up being good and I can't think of any.

The poor decision-making spurts are stuff we've seen before. Freshman Jason Williams was bad at that, too. I assume experience and confidence would help him grow out of it.

The poor shooting, though... that's pretty unique to Duval. I mean, Sean Dockery shot 42/36/62 as a freshman, and definitely improved by his jr/senior years. So maybe that's a good comp.

Sure, J-Will had his brainfarts, but he was still a very good player overall as a freshmen. Nobody would ever have said "bench J-Will he's the weaklink on the team" as we say about Duval.

Sure, J-Will had his brainfarts, but he was still a very good player overall as a freshmen. Nobody would ever have said "bench J-Will he's the weaklink on the team" as we say about Duval.

Obviously, yes. Just saying that Duval's turnover rate or propensity for memorably ridiculous turnovers are not that crazy by the standard of freshman PGs. But the shooting is uniquely awful.

I wish we could just corral all his good somehow because it would raise the ceiling for this team quite a bit. He's been solid defensively in the zone. He used to be able to finish at the rim, and he puts so much more pressure in transition and on drives than both Grayson (can't do it without spacing) and Gary (can't do it period). I felt like last night he was trying to facilitate more initially but regressed into his shithead ways pretty quickly thereafter.

He's killing the offense by way of providing no spacing. As if two bigs down low isn't enough to stymy the typical Duke offense, now we've got a guard shoots far worse than 7 footers across the country. There's no driving ability from the perimeter and the post passes are clogged and predictable.

He's killing the offense by way of providing no spacing. As if two bigs down low isn't enough to stymy the typical Duke offense, now we've got a guard shoots far worse than 7 footers across the country. There's no driving ability from the perimeter and the post passes are clogged and predictable.
Welcome, LineM.

Solid first post.

The thing is though, we don't have a better option IMO. Can't put Carter on the wing and Jav can't even catch the ball so let's not expect any scoring. I guess AOC but K barely plays him.

So it's Duval, Bolden or Jav and I vote Doovowl.

We should've went harder afte Quade Green. He'd be a very solid 3 year PG for us. Duval would fit better on U.K. A Green/Jones backcourt next season would've been a damn mirror image of Cook/Jones.

Are you serious? Obviously Alex O'Connell is a better option and you answered that less than 20 words after saying there is no better option. He's shooting north of 50% from three. The interior will go from a clusterfuck to a cluster.

Coach K looked at his senior's strengths/weaknesses and designed an offense around showcasing his limitations to the basketball world. All so that Duval and the freshmen bigs aren't uncomfortable and upset. Grayson has been awful at stretches because it has been dictated by the lineups and offense.

Hell, throw in Buckmire if he can sit in the corner as a decoy. No one knows his 3 point shooting percentage, which is more of a threat than Duval's 27%.

But that clearly isn't an option as K barely let's AOC off the bench. I still think Doovowls turnover possibilities on D are valuable and I think Allen is better off the ball. That's the real kicker. And I think AOC struggles with rotations a bit but that would probably workout with more reps.

I'm for starting Duval but AOC gets more minutes solely because I want our defense playing as well as possible.

There's plenty of options if we want better spacing:

AOC is a proven option. What he did to piss off K remains a mystery
Goldwire could play a few minutes without throwing the ball at our big's shins. His advanced stats are pretty atrocious, but hey so are Duval's. I suspect he is a better shooter than Duval, and if he played with the starter's, he would get wide open looks.
Last night, K subbed Bolden and Javin in as a unit. Just think about that for a second. Couldn't you leave one of our offensively gifted bigs on the floor at a time? Sub Javin in for Carter and have him tell Bagley what to do on defense. Sub Bolden in for Bagley and see an uptick on defense.
Also, Jack White says hello. Guy can rebound, play great D on the wing and can score off the bounce and he makes FT's. He has shown he can make 3's (last year), but he's been in a season long slump from behind the arc.

And finally, when did Justin Robinson get kicked off the team? Highest block rate on the team, 40% from 3. Put him in the corner or at the top of the key and let er rip. Plus, he could play the middle of the zone. A stretch 5 that we don't use because he can't be hidden in M2M. He could be an asset in a zone.

Is Duval an elite level disruptor? I don't think his steal percentage is anything incredible. It also doesn't help that every fifth possession is a turnover with him.

I really thought Robinson was going to enter the rotation after his two game performance where he showed an excellent ability to hit open 3s and block shots. He barely even gets scrub time.

Trevon has really Long arms, good hands, he's quick as heII, he can handIe the baII, and can pass it on a dime when he wants! But he goes way too fast and gets out of control often; I remember a John Wooden quote that stated, "Be quick but don't hurry", I wish Duval could understand that! And just protect the baII! I could Iive with his bad shooting, etc

If he's a 61% FT shooter and the other team is fouling, then why is he even in the game?

I guess he just drives me crazy

I'm fine if he's in the game during crunch time but he needs to be the inbounds passer. If we're down I'd go Duval-Allen-AOC-Trent-Bagley. I'd go Bagley over Carter because he's let us down on a few 1 and 1's and Bagley is quicker and would be able to get open easier than Carter.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom