Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] at UNC / at GT / VT / at Clemson

I think that Clemson game is an L. They are really struggling to put a solid 40 together. Plus Duke usually loses in that barn.

I'm not that positive of a person but I'm surprised by how negative the takeaways from tonight's game seemed to be. The staff at least showed a willingness to do something different by sitting Duval, which many of us thought they'd never do.

We were also up 25 three quarters of the way through the game on the road, without our best per 40 +/- player this season. Obviously Duke took its foot off the gas which made for a very bad next 8 minutes. Yeah, Duke is extremely inconsistent, but at least we were good for 30 and bad for 10 and not bad for 30 and good for 10, which we've seen so many times before.

I thought our staff did fine with rotations and game prep. Did a lot of playcalling today, too. But fuck, our players suck at executing the plays they try to run, and they give terribly inconsistent effort.

We should really eliminate big hi-lo passes, Grayson should stop jumping to pass so much and Duval shouldn’t have played so long for that last stretch.

Our passing out of the high/low is awful. We throw it out of bounds, to the defender, off of the backboard. It's gross, and I'm assuming we never practice it because it is always terrible.

We should really eliminate big hi-lo passes, Grayson should stop jumping to pass so much and Duval shouldn’t have played so long for that last stretch.
The high-low works well enough when its there. It just becomes far too predictable and we keep forcing it. Is it too much to ask of a big man to simply swing the ball to someone on the perimeter when there's no angle to pass down low?

The high-low works well enough when its there. It just becomes far too predictable and we keep forcing it. Is it too much to ask of a big man to simply swing the ball to someone on the perimeter when there's no angle to pass down low?

It works when they can actually complete the pass which is like 1 out of every 4 attempts. So how about not attempting the pass unless it’s easy?

Our expected PPP for that play is probably negative if you account for the points the other team scores off the turnover

I think we're basically in agreement here. I'm with you in that they're forcing it way too much.

Reactions: TBC
It's a difficult pass. It seems that Bolden has a handle on the pass but not the seal/catch and Carter is the opposite.

Staff seemed very convinced it's the other way around judging bu the play calling.

Isn't it easier to make post entry passes from the wing instead of from top of the key?

Another thing I'd like to see in the next couple of games - get some more looks for AOC on the outside.

VT is an excellent shooting team with 4 high volume 3pt shooters above or around 40%, along with 2 other moderate volume 3pt shooters who are in the mid-to-high 30s.

I assume their shot chart is Rockets-ey, since they're also #5 in the country at 2pt%, which makes me think they get tons of layups. And of course after checking hoop-math, yes, it's confirmed that Buzz has his guys taking the 4th lowest rate of midrange jumpers in the country.

This is not the most talented offense Duke will face, but it's one of the very best coached and best run. Their goal is to get layups and 3s. Schematically, this is a great test for Duke's defense, and although no one in the NBA would ever play 2-3 zone against the Rockets even if it were legal, it may be Duke's only hope, given how broken the m2m could be against an offense like this.

VT is a poor offensive rebounding team, which may allow Duke's terrible defensive rebounding to not lose the game, even in zone.

On defense, VT suffers from a poor turnover rate, so probably not aggressive on the perimeter. Should allow Allen to be more comfortable running the point and lessen the need for Duval.

Last edited:
At this point the only thing I am clinging to for a win is that its a home game.. whatever advantage that may bring

VT's offence sounds pretty terrifying given Duke's defensive tendencies. If they can win these VT games I'll start to feel better about postseason

Va. Tech has games this season in which they shot 15-22 (.682), 16-26 (.615), 15-27 (.556) and 14-25 (.560) from 3.

Their offense has the exact same efficiency as FSU and FSU put up 93 in Cameron. Bet the over.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom