Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] Phil Knight Invitational / at Indiana

I've thought about it more and I am not nearly as mad about that game as I was when I was watching it. The first half was a travesty, but it was fine once we switched to zone. Carter and Bagley came on in the second. Duval played much better too.

My biggest concern right now is Allen's health. He's missing threes badly and even some FTs. Without him we aren't elite.

Yeah this feels like banged up Grayson last year where he resorted to assisting vs scoring because he couldn’t.

Did K let us try to run up the score because PSU were a bunch of a douches? Those last few possessions were odd. Seemed like we got as many shots up as possible.

I want Duke to lose a close one to Texas tomorrow. I would like Duke to avoid getting their asses whipped by Florida on Sunday.

I thought that was a fine quote. I'm ok with mixing the two up, especially early in the season, as long as we have a quick hook on man when it's not working. Sometimes I don't think K's hook is quick enough. I also think there's also some value to in-game switching to take teams out of their rhythm.

I want Duke to lose a close one to Texas tomorrow. I would like Duke to avoid getting their asses whipped by Florida on Sunday.

Well we could lose a close one to Texas and STILL get the shit kicked out of us by Florida on Sunday if Florida loses to Butler tomorrow.

Florida plays the winner of Ohio State and Gonzaga. I don't see either of those teams hanging with Florida.

I really only see an upside to playing Florida. Chance to be champions, chance to get a resume win. A loss, even a bad one, doesn't really hurt us given their ranking.

The only downside is that we have to watch it and that opposing fan bases get to mock us.

I thought that was a fine quote. I'm ok with mixing the two up, especially early in the season, as long as we have a quick hook on man when it's not working. Sometimes I don't think K's hook is quick enough. I also think there's also some value to in-game switching to take teams out of their rhythm.

The problem is that zone needs to be the default scheme, not the lever to pull once you desperately need a not-fucking-retarded scheme to help you win a game. If a team like Florida is killing our 2-3, then okay, throw some man at them, but that's it.

You can just TELL that this is going to evolve into K being a shithead and playing as much man as he can possibly get away with, only giving in and switching to zone whenever our absurd talent advantage isn't compensating enough for his shitty coaching to provide him a comfortable lead. God fucking damn it.

Actually just watched the presser. Couldn’t hear the question but somebody asked him if he sticks to man so much for a reason and he made some joke about saying it wasn’t tattooed to his chest and being stubborn is ok if you know you are right. Then he started talking about s words. Stubborn and smart is ok, but you can’t be stubborn and stupid so he’s trying to not be stupid by letting them play zone.

Unfortunately he doesn’t realize he is stubborn and senile.

On many possessions, maybe most possessions, the man to man this year actually looks a lot like 3-2 zone because they’re switching everything on the perimeter and keeping bigs at home. There are still many possessions where the man to man looks like classic K, however, with bigs hedging so aggressively to allow open layups like clockwork.

I wonder why K can’t reach the compromise all the time, with the more passive version of his man to man that mostly denies layup lines while also moderately contesting 3s. We’re still early in the season, so maybe he strives for the ideal motivated LeBron/Giannis defense for another month or two and then gives up on it if it continues to be terrible like for ~80% of the time for the past 6 seasons. Then again, maybe he tries it until the bitter end and gives up 65 in a half to a terrible offensive team in the NCAAT.

Here's Alexander's Twitter Bio : I cover Duke basketball for the @newsobserver. I'm not special, just blessed. My success is credit to God.

His success is a credit to God.

God hated everyone who applied for that job but didn't get it.

I've always felt like it's the pinnacle of arrogance to claim you achieved something over someone else due to divine intervention. Like, you're so special God handpicked you to win a basketball game (something that God cares about A LOT), while the losing team was evidently unworthy or not godly enough or something.

Kenpom has the game against Texas as Duke’s 6th toughest game remaining, not counting whatever Duke’s final game of PK80 may bring. 34% chance of losing. That’s the weighted average based on the 50/50 chance of K using man to man all game; ~70% chance of winning with mostly zone, and exactly 0% chance of winning with mostly man to man.

I don't have a problem with K's quote in the sense that he's right that it's good in theory to dick around with different things, however...

I'm at the point where I wish K would explain how he defines successful defense. Because I honestly don't know what his defensive goals are anymore. Whatever they are, they sure as shit don't align with our desires. For years now, Duke's defense has essentially been making opposing offenses better, but K more or less reacts with his "We won the game, so come at me, bro" nonsense, which is annoying as hell.

Agreed. Texas seemed to struggle scoring against Butler. Hopefully that is the case against us.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom